Free Online Dictionary
|Babylon English English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
v. make an offering to a god; sell at a loss; tolerate the loss of; surrender something for the sake of something more valuable
n. act of making an offering to a god; person or item which is offered to a god; surrender of something for the sake of something more valuable; loss caused by selling something below cost
The following video provides you with the correct English pronunciation of the word "sacrifice", to help you become a better English speaker.
|Wikipedia English The Free Encyclopedia||Download this dictionary|
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
© This article uses material from Wikipedia® and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
|WordNet 2.0 Dictionary||Download this dictionary|
1. the act of losing or surrendering something as a penalty for a mistake or fault or failure to perform etc.
(synonym) forfeit, forfeiture
(hypernym) act, human action, human activity
2. personnel that are sacrificed (e.g., surrendered or lost in order to gain an objective)
(hypernym) personnel casualty, loss
3. a loss entailed by giving up or selling something at less than its value; "he had to sell his car at a considerable sacrifice"
4. the act of killing (an animal or person) in order to propitiate a deity
(synonym) ritual killing
(hypernym) killing, kill, putting to death
(classification) animal, animate being, beast, brute, creature, fauna
5. (sacrifice) an out that advances the base runners
(hyponym) sacrifice fly
(classification) baseball, baseball game, ball
1. endure the loss of; "He gave his life for his children"; "I gave two sons to the war"
(hypernym) release, relinquish, resign, free, give up
(verb-group) give, pay, devote
(derivation) forfeit, forfeiture
2. kill or destroy; "The animals were sacrificed after the experiment"; "The general had to sacrifice several soldiers to save the regiment"
(derivation) ritual killing
3. sell at a loss
4. make a sacrifice of; in religious rituals
(hypernym) offer, offer up
(derivation) ritual killing
|Babylon French English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
nm. sacrifice, act of making an offering to a god; person or item which is offered to a god; surrender of something for the sake of something more valuable; offering
|Babylon English-Czech||Download this dictionary|
n. oběť; obětování
| sacrifice in French | sacrifice in Italian | sacrifice in Spanish | sacrifice in Dutch | sacrifice in Portuguese | sacrifice in German | sacrifice in Russian | sacrifice in Japanese | sacrifice in Greek | sacrifice in Korean | sacrifice in Turkish | sacrifice in Hebrew | sacrifice in Arabic | sacrifice in Thai | sacrifice in Polish | sacrifice in Czech | sacrifice in Catalan | sacrifice in Croatian | sacrifice in Serbian | sacrifice in Albanian | sacrifice in Urdu | sacrifice in Bulgarian | sacrifice in Danish | sacrifice in Finnish | sacrifice in Norwegian | sacrifice in Romanian | sacrifice in Swedish | sacrifice in Farsi | sacrifice in Macedonian | sacrifice in Latin | sacrifice in Hindi | sacrifice in Indonesian | sacrifice in Vietnamese | sacrifice in Mongolian | sacrifice in Pashto | sacrifice in Malay
You think you have ethics... Take the survey NOW!