Free Online Dictionary
|Babylon English English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
adj. performed on time, done immediately; swift, quick; alert, nimble, brisk
v. motivate, inspire; induce, impel; drive, spur; stimulate, excite; provide a cue for an actor's forgotten lines
n. reminder, something that stimulates memory; cue that reminds an actor of forgotten lines; on-screen symbol or indication that a computer is ready for input (Computers)
The following video provides you with the correct English pronunciation of the word "prompt", to help you become a better English speaker.
|Wikipedia English The Free Encyclopedia||Download this dictionary|
Prompt may refer to:
- Command prompt, in computing, one or more characters in a command line interface to indicate that the computer is ready to accept typed input
- Prompt (theatre) or "prompter", in theatre, the person who prompts an actor when they forget their next line
- Prompt corner or prompt box, the location at the side of the stage where the prompt is located
- Prompt critical, in nuclear engineering, the state of an assembly when for each nuclear fission event, one or more of the immediate or prompt neutrons released causes an additional fission event
- Prompt neutron, in nuclear engineering, a neutron immediately emitted by a nuclear fission event, as opposed to a delayed neutron
- PROMPT Telescopes, an array of telescopes located at CTIO which are designed to rapidly observe gamma-ray burst afterglows simultaneously in multiple filters
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
PROMPT, an acronym for Panchromatic Robotic Optical Monitoring and Polarimetry Telescopes, is currently being built by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill at Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory (CTIO) in Chile. PROMPT's primary objective is rapid and simultaneous multiwavelength observations of gamma-ray burst afterglows, some when they are only tens of seconds old. In addition to measuring redshifts by dropout, and early-time SFDs and extinction curves of sufficiently bright afterglows in unprecedented detail, PROMPT will facilitate quick response observations at larger observatories such as the UNC-led 4.1-m SOAR Telescope. PROMPT will also serve as a platform for undergraduate and high school education throughout the State of North Carolina.
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
© This article uses material from Wikipedia® and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
|WordNet 2.0 Dictionary||Download this dictionary|
1. a cue given to a performer (usually the beginning of the next line to be spoken); "the audience could hear his prompting"
(derivation) remind, cue
2. (computer science) a symbol that appears on the computer screen to indicate that the computer is ready to receive a command
(synonym) command prompt
(hypernym) electronic communication
(classification) computer science, computing
1. give an incentive for action; "This moved me to sacrifice my career"
(synonym) motivate, actuate, propel, move, incite
(hypernym) cause, do, make
(verb-group) affect, impress, move, strike
2. serve as the inciting cause of; "She prompted me to call my relatives"
(synonym) inspire, instigate
(hypernym) induce, stimulate, cause, have, get, make
(derivation) suggestion, prompting
3. assist (somebody acting or reciting) by suggesting the next words of something forgotten or imperfectly learned
(synonym) remind, cue
1. according to schedule or without delay; "they were always on time"; "a prompt reply"
(synonym) on time
2. characterized by speed and efficiency
(synonym) expeditious, timesaving
3. quick in apprehending or reacting; "a prompt (or ready) response"; "a prompt smile"
4. performed with little or no delay; "an immediate reply to my letter"; "prompt obedience"; "was quick to respond"; "a straightaway denial"
(synonym) immediate, quick, straightaway
|Babylon German English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
adj. prompt, quick, swift, performed on time, done immediately, brisk, nimble
|Babylon French English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
adj. rapid, speedy, quick; swift, prompt; unhesitating, smart
| prompt in French | prompt in Italian | prompt in Spanish | prompt in Dutch | prompt in Portuguese | prompt in German | prompt in Russian | prompt in Japanese | prompt in Greek | prompt in Korean | prompt in Turkish | prompt in Hebrew | prompt in Arabic | prompt in Thai | prompt in Polish | prompt in Hungarian | prompt in Czech | prompt in Lithuanian | prompt in Catalan | prompt in Croatian | prompt in Serbian | prompt in Albanian | prompt in Urdu | prompt in Bulgarian | prompt in Danish | prompt in Finnish | prompt in Norwegian | prompt in Romanian | prompt in Swedish | prompt in Farsi | prompt in Macedonian | prompt in Latin | prompt in Hindi | prompt in Indonesian | prompt in Vietnamese | prompt in Mongolian | prompt in Malay
You think you have ethics... Take the survey NOW!