Free Online Dictionary
|Wikipedia English The Free Encyclopedia||Download this dictionary|
In baseball, an at bat (AB) or time at bat is used to calculate certain statistics, including batting average, on base percentage, and slugging percentage. It is a more restricted definition of a plate appearance. A batter starts with an at bat every time he faces a pitcher; however, the batter gets "no time at bat" in the following circumstances:
- He receives a base on balls (BB).
- He is hit by a pitch (HBP).
- He hits a sacrifice fly or a sacrifice hit (also known as sacrifice bunt).
- He is awarded first base due to interference or obstruction, usually by the catcher.
- The inning ends while he is still at bat (due to the third out being made by a runner caught stealing, for example). In this case, the batter will come to bat again in the next inning, though he now has no balls or strikes on him.
- He is replaced by another hitter before his at bat is completed (unless he is replaced with two strikes and his replacement strikes out).
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
The following video provides you with the correct English pronunciation of the word "at bat", to help you become a better English speaker.
© This article uses material from Wikipedia® and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
|Wikipedia 日本語 - フリー百科事典||Download this dictionary|
この記事はウィキペディアTMの内容を用いておりGNU Free Documentation License のライセンスのもとに提供されています。
|Dizionario inglese-italiano 1.0.012||Download this dictionary|
|hEnglish - advanced version||Download this dictionary|
n : a turn batting (in baseball); "he was at bat when it happened" or "he got 4 hits in 4 at-bats" [syn: bat]
|Wikipedia 维基中文 免费百科全书||Download this dictionary|
|访问 Wikipedia.org... 网页|
本文章的材料选自维基百科(R), 并有 GNU 免费文件许
| at bat in English | at bat in Italian | at bat in Spanish | at bat in Japanese
You think you have ethics... Take the survey NOW!