Free Online Dictionary
|Babylon English English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
v. make an offering to a god; sell at a loss; tolerate the loss of; surrender something for the sake of something more valuable
n. act of making an offering to a god; person or item which is offered to a god; surrender of something for the sake of something more valuable; loss caused by selling something below cost
The following video provides you with the correct English pronunciation of the word "SACRIFICES", to help you become a better English speaker.
|Wikipedia English The Free Encyclopedia||Download this dictionary|
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
© This article uses material from Wikipedia® and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
|WordNet 2.0 Dictionary||Download this dictionary|
1. the act of losing or surrendering something as a penalty for a mistake or fault or failure to perform etc.
(synonym) forfeit, forfeiture
(hypernym) act, human action, human activity
2. personnel that are sacrificed (e.g., surrendered or lost in order to gain an objective)
(hypernym) personnel casualty, loss
3. a loss entailed by giving up or selling something at less than its value; "he had to sell his car at a considerable sacrifice"
4. the act of killing (an animal or person) in order to propitiate a deity
(synonym) ritual killing
(hypernym) killing, kill, putting to death
(classification) animal, animate being, beast, brute, creature, fauna
5. (sacrifice) an out that advances the base runners
(hyponym) sacrifice fly
(classification) baseball, baseball game, ball
1. endure the loss of; "He gave his life for his children"; "I gave two sons to the war"
(hypernym) release, relinquish, resign, free, give up
(verb-group) give, pay, devote
(derivation) forfeit, forfeiture
2. kill or destroy; "The animals were sacrificed after the experiment"; "The general had to sacrifice several soldiers to save the regiment"
(derivation) ritual killing
3. sell at a loss
4. make a sacrifice of; in religious rituals
(hypernym) offer, offer up
(derivation) ritual killing
|Babylon French English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
nm. sacrifice, act of making an offering to a god; person or item which is offered to a god; surrender of something for the sake of something more valuable; offering
|Babylon English-Czech||Download this dictionary|
n. oběť; obětování
| SACRIFICES in French | SACRIFICES in Italian | SACRIFICES in Spanish | SACRIFICES in Dutch | SACRIFICES in Portuguese | SACRIFICES in German | SACRIFICES in Russian | SACRIFICES in Japanese | SACRIFICES in Greek | SACRIFICES in Korean | SACRIFICES in Turkish | SACRIFICES in Hebrew | SACRIFICES in Arabic | SACRIFICES in Polish | SACRIFICES in Czech | SACRIFICES in Catalan | SACRIFICES in Albanian | SACRIFICES in Bulgarian | SACRIFICES in Danish | SACRIFICES in Finnish | SACRIFICES in Norwegian | SACRIFICES in Swedish | SACRIFICES in Farsi | SACRIFICES in Latin
You think you have ethics... Take the survey NOW!