Free Online Dictionary
|Babylon English English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
n. comment, remark; ascription, relation; mention, allusion; regard; note that directs a reader to another source of information; supporting evidence taken from another book or publication
v. add a footnote, place a note that directs readers to another source of information (in a book, journal, etc.)
The following video provides you with the correct English pronunciation of the word "References", to help you become a better English speaker.
|Wikipedia English The Free Encyclopedia||Download this dictionary|
Reference is a relation between objects in which one object designates, or acts as a means by which to connect to or link to, another object. The first object in this relation is said to refer to the second object. The second object – the one to which the first object refers – is called the referent of the first object.
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
© This article uses material from Wikipedia® and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
|WordNet 2.0 Dictionary||Download this dictionary|
1. a remark that calls attention to something or someone; "she made frequent mention of her promotion"; "there was no mention of it"; "the speaker made several references to his wife"
(hypernym) remark, comment
(derivation) mention, advert, bring up, cite, name, refer
2. a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage; "the student's essay failed to list several important citations"; "the acknowledgments are usually printed at the front of a book"; "the article includes mention of similar clinical cases"
(synonym) citation, acknowledgment, credit, mention, quotation
(hypernym) note, annotation, notation
(hyponym) photo credit
3. an indicator that orients you generally; "it is used as a reference for comparing the heating and the electrical energy involved"
(synonym) reference point, point of reference
(hyponym) benchmark, bench mark
4. a book to which you can refer for authoritative facts; "he contributed articles to the basic reference work on that topic"
(synonym) reference book, reference work, book of facts
(hyponym) cookbook, cookery book
(derivation) consult, refer, look up
5. a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability; "requests for character references are all to often answered evasively"
(synonym) character, character reference
(hypernym) recommendation, testimonial, good word
6. the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the class of objects that an expression refers to; "the extension of `satellite of Mars' is the set containing only Demos and Phobos"
(synonym) denotation, extension
(hypernym) meaning, substance
(derivation) refer, pertain, relate, concern, come to, bear on, touch, touch on
7. the act of referring or consulting; "reference to an encyclopedia produced the answer"
8. a publication (or a passage from a publication) that is referred to; "he carried an armful of references back to his desk"; "he spent hours looking for the source of that quotation"
9. the relation between a word or phrase and the object or idea it refers to; "he argued that reference is a consequence of conditioned reflexes"
(hypernym) meaning, substance
(derivation) denote, refer
1. refer to; "he referenced his colleagues' work"
(hypernym) write, compose, pen, indite
(classification) writing, authorship, composition, penning
|Babylon French English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
nf. reference, comment, remark
|Babylon English-Czech||Download this dictionary|
n. odkaz; zmínka; doporučení; posudek
| References in French | References in Italian | References in Spanish | References in Dutch | References in Portuguese | References in German | References in Russian | References in Japanese | References in Greek | References in Korean | References in Turkish | References in Hebrew | References in Arabic | References in Polish | References in Czech | References in Catalan | References in Croatian | References in Serbian | References in Albanian | References in Bulgarian | References in Danish | References in Norwegian | References in Romanian | References in Swedish | References in Farsi | References in Armenian
You think you have ethics... Take the survey NOW!