Free Online Dictionary
|Babylon English English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
adj. silent, noiseless; peaceful, tranquil; still, lacking activity; speaking very little
v. make silent, make noiseless; pacify, calm; be pacified, be calmed; be reticent, remain silent; become quiet
n. silence, noiselessness; stillness, tranquility; muteness, speechlessness; peacefulness, calmness
The following video provides you with the correct English pronunciation of the word "Quiet", to help you become a better English speaker.
|Wikipedia English The Free Encyclopedia||Download this dictionary|
QUIET is an astronomy experiment to study the polarization of the cosmic microwave background radiation. QUIET stands for Q/U Imaging ExperimenT. The Q/U in the name refers to the ability of the telescope to measure the Q and U Stokes parameters simultaneously. QUIET is located at an elevation of 5,080 metres (16,700 feet) at Llano de Chajnantor Observatory in the Chilean Andes. It began observing in late 2008 and finished observing in December 2010.
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
Quiet may refer to:
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
© This article uses material from Wikipedia® and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
|WordNet 2.0 Dictionary||Download this dictionary|
1. a period of calm weather; "there was a lull in the storm"
2. an untroubled state; free from disturbances
3. the absence of sound; "he needed silence in order to sleep"; "the street was quiet"
(hypernym) sound property
(hyponym) hush, stillness, still
(derivation) quieten, hush, quiesce, quiet down, pipe down
4. a disposition free from stress or emotion
(synonym) repose, placidity, serenity, tranquillity, tranquility
(hypernym) composure, calm, calmness, equanimity
(derivation) calm, calm down, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, quieten, lull, still
1. become quiet or quieter; "The audience fell silent when the speaker entered"
(synonym) quieten, hush, quiesce, quiet down, pipe down
(hypernym) change intensity
(verb-group) hush, quieten, silence, still, shut up, hush up
2. make calm or still; "quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
(synonym) calm, calm down, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, quieten, lull, still
(hypernym) comfort, soothe, console, solace
(derivation) repose, placidity, serenity, tranquillity, tranquility
1. characterized by an absence or near absence of agitation or activity; "a quiet life"; "a quiet throng of onlookers"; "quiet peace-loving people"; "the factions remained quiet for almost 10 years"
2. free of noise or uproar; or making little if any sound; "a quiet audience at the concert"; "the room was dark and quiet"
(see-also) inaudible, unhearable
3. not showy or obtrusive; "clothes in quiet good taste"
(similar) unostentatious, unpretentious, unpretending
4. in a softened tone; "hushed voices"; "muted trumpets"; "a subdued whisper"; "a quiet reprimand"
(synonym) hushed, muted, subdued
5. without untoward incident or disruption; "a placid existence"; "quiet times"
6. free from disturbance; "a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay"; "the quiet waters of a lagoon"; "a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky"; "a smooth channel crossing"; "scarcely a ripple on the still water"; "unruffled water"
(synonym) placid, still, tranquil, unruffled
7. of the sun; characterized by a low level of surface phenomena like sun spots e.g.
(classification) astronomy, uranology
1. with little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly'); "her hands rested quietly in her lap"; "the rock star was quietly led out the back door"; "sit here as quiet as you can"
|Babylon English-Czech||Download this dictionary|
příd.jm. tichý; klidný; nemluvný
n. ticho; klid; nemluvnost
|Babylon English-Polish||Download this dictionary|
Przym. cichy; spokojny
Rzecz. cisza; spokój
| Quiet in French | Quiet in Italian | Quiet in Spanish | Quiet in Dutch | Quiet in Portuguese | Quiet in German | Quiet in Russian | Quiet in Japanese | Quiet in Greek | Quiet in Korean | Quiet in Turkish | Quiet in Hebrew | Quiet in Arabic | Quiet in Thai | Quiet in Polish | Quiet in Czech | Quiet in Catalan | Quiet in Croatian | Quiet in Serbian | Quiet in Albanian | Quiet in Urdu | Quiet in Bulgarian | Quiet in Danish | Quiet in Finnish | Quiet in Norwegian | Quiet in Romanian | Quiet in Swedish | Quiet in Farsi | Quiet in Macedonian | Quiet in Afrikaans | Quiet in Latin | Quiet in Hindi | Quiet in Indonesian | Quiet in Vietnamese | Quiet in Pashto | Quiet in Malay | Quiet in Filipino
You think you have ethics... Take the survey NOW!