Free Online Dictionary
|Babylon English English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
v. acquire; earn; add; purchase
n. profit; asset; achievement; addition, increase
The following video provides you with the correct English pronunciation of the word "Gain", to help you become a better English speaker.
|Wikipedia English The Free Encyclopedia||Download this dictionary|
In electronics, gain is a measure of the ability of a circuit (often an amplifier) to increase the power or amplitude of a signal from the input to the output. It is usually defined as the mean ratio of the signal output of a system to the signal input of the same system. It may also be defined on a logarithmic scale, in terms of the decimal logarithm of the same ratio ("dB gain"). A gain greater than one (zero dB), that is, amplification, is the defining property of an active component or circuit, while a passive circuit will have a gain of less than one.
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
© This article uses material from Wikipedia® and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
|WordNet 2.0 Dictionary||Download this dictionary|
1. a quantity that is added; "there was an addition to property taxes this year"; "they recorded the cattle's gain in weight over a period of weeks"
(synonym) addition, increase
(hypernym) indefinite quantity
2. the advantageous quality of being beneficial
(hypernym) advantage, vantage
3. the amount of increase in signal power or voltage or current expressed as the ratio of output to input
(hypernym) increase, increment
(hyponym) loop gain
4. the amount by which the revenue of a business exceeds its cost of operating
(antonym) loss, red ink, red
(hypernym) sum, sum of money, amount, amount of money
(hyponym) financial gain
1. obtain; "derive pleasure from one's garden"
(hyponym) reap, draw
2. win something through one's efforts; "I acquired a passing knowledge of Chinese"; "Gain an understanding of international finance"
(synonym) acquire, win
(hypernym) get, acquire
3. derive a benefit from; "She profited from his vast experience"
(synonym) profit, benefit
(hypernym) get, acquire
(hyponym) cash in on
4. reach a destination, either real or abstract; "We hit Detroit by noon"; "The water reached the doorstep"; "We barely made it to the finish line"; "I have to hit the MAC machine before the weekend starts"
(synonym) reach, make, attain, hit, arrive at
(hyponym) catch up
(entail) travel, go, move, locomote
5. obtain advantages, such as points, etc.; "The home team was gaining ground"; "After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"
(synonym) advance, win, pull ahead, make headway, get ahead, gain ground
(antonym) fall back, lose, drop off, fall behind, recede
6. rise in rate or price; "The stock market gained 24 points today"
(hypernym) wax, mount, climb, rise
7. increase in; "gain momentum"; "gain nerve"
8. earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages; "How much do you make a month in your new job?"; "She earns a lot in her new job"; "this merger brought in lots of money"; "He clears $5,000 each month"
(synonym) take in, clear, make, earn, realize, realise, pull in, bring in
(hypernym) get, acquire
(hyponym) eke out, squeeze out
(verb-group) net, sack, sack up, clear
9. increase (one's body weight); "She gained 20 pounds when she stopped exercising"
(synonym) put on
(antonym) reduce, melt off, lose weight, slim, slenderize, thin, slim down
(hypernym) change state, turn
(hyponym) round, flesh out, fill out
(derivation) gainer, weight gainer
|Babylon French English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
nm. gain, profit, benefit
|Babylon English-Czech||Download this dictionary|
v. získat; nabývat na čem; jít nahoru; prosazovat se; nabýt čeho/na čem; rozšířit (si); dohánět koho/co
n. výnos; zisk; zvýšení
| Gain in French | Gain in Italian | Gain in Spanish | Gain in Dutch | Gain in Portuguese | Gain in German | Gain in Russian | Gain in Japanese | Gain in Greek | Gain in Korean | Gain in Turkish | Gain in Hebrew | Gain in Arabic | Gain in Thai | Gain in Polish | Gain in Czech | Gain in Catalan | Gain in Croatian | Gain in Serbian | Gain in Albanian | Gain in Urdu | Gain in Bulgarian | Gain in Danish | Gain in Finnish | Gain in Norwegian | Gain in Romanian | Gain in Swedish | Gain in Farsi | Gain in Macedonian | Gain in Afrikaans | Gain in Latin | Gain in Hindi | Gain in Indonesian | Gain in Vietnamese | Gain in Pashto | Gain in Malay | Gain in Filipino
You think you have ethics... Take the survey NOW!