Free Online Dictionary
|Babylon English English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
v. work; act; operate
n. duty, role; use, purpose; festive event, social occasion; formal gathering, formal meeting; mathematical function, quantity dependent on other quantities for its value (Mathematics)
The following video provides you with the correct English pronunciation of the word "Function", to help you become a better English speaker.
|Wikipedia English The Free Encyclopedia||Download this dictionary|
Function may refer to:
- Diatonic function, a term in music theory
- Function (E-40 song), a 2012 song by American rapper E-40 featuring YG, iAmSu & Problem
- Function (biology), explaining why a feature survived selection
- Function (computer science), or subroutine, a portion of code within a larger program, performs a specific task
- Function (engineering), related to the selected property of a system
- Function (language), in linguistics, a way of achieving an aim using language
- Function (mathematics), an abstract entity that associates an input to a corresponding output according to some rule
- Function model, a structured representation of the functions, activities or processes
- Function object, or functor or functionoid, a concept of object-oriented programming
- Function Drinks, a beverage company based in Redondo Beach, California.
- An organised event such as a party or meeting
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
© This article uses material from Wikipedia® and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
|WordNet 2.0 Dictionary||Download this dictionary|
1. a mathematical relation such that each element of one set is associated with at least one element of another set
(synonym) mathematical function
(hypernym) mathematical relation
(hyponym) inverse function
(classification) mathematics, math, maths
2. what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
(synonym) purpose, role, use
(hypernym) utility, usefulness
(hyponym) raison d'etre
3. the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group; "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
(synonym) office, part, role
4. a relation such that one thing is dependent on another; "height is a function of age"; "price is a function of supply and demand"
5. a formal or official social gathering or ceremony; "it was a black-tie function"
(hypernym) social gathering, social affair
6. a vaguely specified social event; "the party was quite an affair"; "an occasion arranged to honor the president"; "a seemingly endless round of social functions"
(synonym) affair, occasion, social occasion, social function
(hypernym) social event
7. a set sequence of steps, part of larger computer program
(synonym) routine, subroutine, subprogram, procedure
(hypernym) software, software system, software package, package
(hyponym) cataloged procedure
(part-holonym) program, programme, computer program, computer programme
1. perform as expected when applied; "The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"; "Does this old car still run well?"; "This old radio doesn't work anymore"
(synonym) work, operate, go, run
(antonym) malfunction, misfunction
(derivation) operation, functioning, performance
2. serve a purpose, role, or function; "The tree stump serves as a table"; "The female students served as a control group"; "This table would serve very well"; "His freedom served him well"; "The table functions as a desk"
(hypernym) suffice, do, answer, serve
(verb-group) service, serve
(derivation) purpose, role, use
3. perform duties attached to a particular office or place or function; "His wife officiated as his private secretary"
(derivation) office, part, role
|Babylon English-Czech||Download this dictionary|
n. funkce; společenská událost; slavnost
|Babylon English-Polish||Download this dictionary|
Czas. działać; funkcjonować
Rzecz. funkcja; rola; uroczystość
| Function in French | Function in Italian | Function in Spanish | Function in Dutch | Function in Portuguese | Function in German | Function in Russian | Function in Japanese | Function in Greek | Function in Korean | Function in Turkish | Function in Hebrew | Function in Arabic | Function in Thai | Function in Polish | Function in Czech | Function in Catalan | Function in Croatian | Function in Serbian | Function in Albanian | Function in Urdu | Function in Bulgarian | Function in Danish | Function in Finnish | Function in Norwegian | Function in Romanian | Function in Swedish | Function in Farsi | Function in Macedonian | Function in Afrikaans | Function in Latin | Function in Armenian | Function in Hindi | Function in Indonesian | Function in Vietnamese | Function in Malay | Function in Filipino
You think you have ethics... Take the survey NOW!