Free Online Dictionary
|Babylon English English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
adv. twofold; in pairs, two together
adj. composed of two parts or items; twofold; coupled, paired; folded
v. multiply by two, increase twofold; be multiplied by two; bend, fold; play the part of a double in a play or film
n. twofold amount; stunt actor, stand-in; sharp turn
The following video provides you with the correct English pronunciation of the word "Double", to help you become a better English speaker.
|Wikipedia English The Free Encyclopedia||Download this dictionary|
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
© This article uses material from Wikipedia® and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
|WordNet 2.0 Dictionary||Download this dictionary|
1. a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base; "he hit a double to deep centerfield"
(synonym) two-base hit, two-bagger, two-baser
(hypernym) base hit, safety, bingle
(hyponym) line-drive double, line double
2. a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts; "his first job in Hollywood was as a double for Clark Gable"
(synonym) stunt man, stunt woman
(hypernym) stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever, backup, backup man, fill-in
3. someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor); "he could be Gingrich's double"; "she's the very image of her mother"
(synonym) image, look-alike
(hypernym) person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, human, soul
(hyponym) ringer, dead ringer, clone
4. a quantity that is twice as great as another; "36 is the double of 18"
(derivation) duplicate, reduplicate, repeat, replicate
5. raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2; "I decided his double was a bluff"
(part-holonym) card game, cards
1. increase twofold; "The population doubled within 50 years"
(hypernym) multiply, manifold
(see-also) parlay, double up
2. hit a two-base hit
(derivation) two-base hit, two-bagger, two-baser
(classification) baseball, baseball game, ball
3. bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain; "He doubled and vomited violently"
(synonym) double over, double up
(hypernym) bend, flex
4. do double duty; serve two purposes or have two functions; "She doubles as his wife and secretary"
(hypernym) function, work, operate, go, run
5. bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
(hypernym) bid, call
6. make or do or perform again; "He could never replicate his brilliant performance of the magic trick"
(synonym) duplicate, reduplicate, repeat, replicate
(hyponym) replicate, copy
1. having more than one decidedly dissimilar aspects or qualities; "a double (or dual) role for an actor"; "the office of a clergyman is twofold; public preaching and private influence"- R.W.Emerson; "every episode has its double and treble meaning"-Frederick Harrison
(synonym) dual, twofold, treble, threefold
2. consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs; "an egg with a double yolk"; "a double (binary) star"; "double doors"; "dual controls for pilot and copilot"; "duple (or double) time consists of two (or a multiple of two) beats to a measure"
(synonym) dual, duple
3. twice as great or many; "ate a double portion"; "the dose is doubled"; "a twofold increase"
(synonym) doubled, twofold
4. used of flowers having more than the usual number of petals in crowded or overlapping arrangements; "double chrysanthemums have many rows of petals and are usually spherical or hemispherical"
(classification) botany, phytology
5. used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsis
(attribute) valence, valency
(classification) genetics, genetic science
6. large enough for two; "a double bed"; "a double room"
(similar) large, big
7. having two meanings with intent to deceive; "a sly double meaning"; "spoke with forked tongue"
(similar) equivocal, ambiguous
1. downward and forward; "he was bent double with pain"
2. two together; "some people sleep better double"
3. to double the degree; "she was doubly rewarded"; "his eyes were double bright"
(synonym) doubly, twice
|Babylon German English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
n. dubber, one who dubs; stunt actor; double, twofold amount, twofold; two together
|Babylon French English dictionary||Download this dictionary|
adj. double, duple, twofold; twin, dual; tandem
nm. double, duplicate, duplex, counterpart, doubles
adj. lined, dubbed
nm. double, line
v. double, understudy, line, pass, round
| Double in French | Double in Italian | Double in Spanish | Double in Dutch | Double in Portuguese | Double in German | Double in Russian | Double in Japanese | Double in Greek | Double in Korean | Double in Turkish | Double in Hebrew | Double in Arabic | Double in Thai | Double in Polish | Double in Czech | Double in Catalan | Double in Croatian | Double in Serbian | Double in Albanian | Double in Urdu | Double in Bulgarian | Double in Danish | Double in Finnish | Double in Norwegian | Double in Romanian | Double in Swedish | Double in Farsi | Double in Macedonian | Double in Armenian | Double in Hindi | Double in Indonesian | Double in Vietnamese | Double in Mongolian | Double in Pashto | Double in Malay | Double in Filipino
You think you have ethics... Take the survey NOW!