Free Online Dictionary
|Wikipedia English The Free Encyclopedia||Download this dictionary|
- 462 – Possible start of first Byzantine indiction cycle.
- 1355 – King Tvrtko I of Bosnia writes In castro nostro Vizoka vocatum from the old town of Visoki.
- 1529 – The Spanish fort Sancti Spiritu, the first one built in modern Argentina, is destroyed by natives.
- 1532 – Lady Anne Boleyn is made Marquess of Pembroke by her fiancé, King Henry VIII of England.
- 1604 – Adi Granth, now known as Guru Granth Sahib, the holy scripture of Sikhs, was first installed at Harmandir Sahib.
- 1644 – Battle of Tippermuir: James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose defeats the Earl of Wemyss's Covenanters, reviving the Royalist cause.
- 1715 – King Louis XIV of France dies after a reign of 72 years – the longest of any major European monarch.
- 1763 – Catherine II of Russia endorses Ivan Betskoy's plans for a Foundling Home in Moscow
- 1772 – The Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa is founded in San Luis Obispo, California.
- 1774 – Massachusetts colonists rise up in bloodless Powder Alarm.
- 1804 – Juno, one of the largest main belt asteroids, is discovered by German astronomer Karl Ludwig Harding.
- 1836 – Narcissa Whitman, one of the first English-speaking white women to settle west of the Rocky Mountains, arrives at Walla Walla, Washington.
- 1862 – American Civil War: Battle of Chantilly – Confederate forces attack retreating Union troops in Chantilly, Virginia.
- 1864 – American Civil War: Confederate General John Bell Hood evacuates Atlanta, Georgia after a four-month siege by General Sherman.
- 1870 – Franco-Prussian War: the Battle of Sedan is fought, resulting in a decisive Prussian victory.
- 1873 – Cetshwayo ascends to the throne as king of the Zulu nation following the death of his father Mpande.
- 1878 – Emma Nutt becomes the world's first female telephone operator when she is recruited by Alexander Graham Bell to the Boston Telephone Dispatch Company.
- 1894 – More than 400 people die in the Great Hinckley Fire, a forest fire in Hinckley, Minnesota.
- 1897 – The Boston subway opens, becoming the first underground rapid transit system in North America.
- 1902 – A Trip to the Moon, considered one of the first science fiction films, is released in France.
- 1905 – Alberta and Saskatchewan join the Canadian confederation.
- 1906 – The International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys is established.
- 1911 – The armored cruiser Georgios Averof is commissioned into the Greek Navy. It now serves as a museum ship.
- 1914 – St. Petersburg, Russia, changes its name to Petrograd.
- 1914 – The last passenger pigeon, a female named Martha, dies in captivity in the Cincinnati Zoo.
- 1920 – The Fountain of Time opens as a tribute to the 100 years of peace between the United States and Great Britain following the Treaty of Ghent.
- 1923 – The Great Kanto earthquake devastates Tokyo and Yokohama, killing about 105,000 people.
- 1928 – Ahmet Zogu declares Albania to be a monarchy and proclaims himself king.
- 1934 – SMJK Sam Tet is founded by Father Fourgs from the St. Michael Church, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia.
- 1939 – World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning World War II.
- 1939 – George C. Marshall becomes Chief of Staff of the United States Army.
- 1939 – The Wound Badge for Wehrmacht, SS, Kriegsmarine, and Luftwaffe soldiers is instituted. The final version of the Iron Cross is also instituted on this date.
- 1939 – Switzerland mobilizes its forces and the Swiss Parliament elects Henri Guisan to head the Swiss Army (an event that can happen only during war or mobilization).
- 1939 – Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people.
- 1951 – The United States, Australia and New Zealand sign a mutual defense pact, called the ANZUS Treaty.
- 1958 – Iceland expands its fishing zone, putting it into conflict with the United Kingdom, beginning the Cod Wars.
- 1961 – The Eritrean War of Independence officially begins with the shooting of the Ethiopian police by Hamid Idris Awate.
- 1969 – A coup in Libya brings Muammar al-Gaddafi to power.
- 1969 – Tran Thien Khiem became Prime Minister of South Vietnam under President Nguyen Van Thieu.
- 1970 – Attempted assassination of King Hussein of Jordan by Palestinian guerrillas, who attacked his motorcade.
- 1972 – In Reykjavík, Iceland, American Bobby Fischer beats Russian Boris Spassky to become the world chess champion.
- 1974 – The SR-71 Blackbird sets (and holds) the record for flying from New York to London in the time of 1 hour, 54 minutes and 56.4 seconds at a speed of .
- 1979 – The American space probe Pioneer 11 becomes the first spacecraft to visit Saturn when it passes the planet at a distance of .
- 1980 – Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope ends near Thunder Bay, Ontario.
- 1980 – Major General Chun Doo-hwan becomes president of South Korea, following the resignation of Choi Kyu-hah.
- 1981 – A coup d'état in the Central African Republic overthrows President David Dacko.
- 1982 – The United States Air Force Space Command is founded.
- 1983 – Cold War: Korean Air Flight 007 is shot down by a Soviet Union jet fighter when the commercial aircraft enters Soviet airspace. All 269 on board die, including Congressman Lawrence McDonald.
- 1985 – A joint American–French expedition locates the wreckage of the .
- 1991 – Uzbekistan declares independence from the Soviet Union
- 2004 – The Beslan school hostage crisis commences when armed terrorists take children and adults hostage in Beslan in North Ossetia, Russia.
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
The following video provides you with the correct English pronunciation of the word "1 september", to help you become a better English speaker.
© This article uses material from Wikipedia® and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License and under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
|Wikipedia Español La enciclopedia libre||Download this dictionary|
1 de Septiembre
- REDIRECCIÓN 1 de septiembre
|Ver más en Wikipedia.org.../A>|
1 de septiembre
|Ver más en Wikipedia.org.../A>|
© Este artículo utiliza contenidos de Wikipedia® y está disponible bajo los términos de la Licencia de documentación libre GNU
|Wikipédia Français||Download this dictionary|
|Pour la suite, voir Wikipédia.org…|
© Cet article se sert du contenu de Wikipédia® et est autorisé sous les termes de la Licence de Documentation libre GNU
|Wikipedia Deutsch Die freie Enzyklopädie||Download this dictionary|
|Mehr unter Wikipedia.org...|
© Dieser Eintrag beinhaltet Material aus Wikipedia und ist lizensiert auf GNU-Lizenz für freie Dokumentation
|Svenska Wikipedia – den fria encyklopedin||Download this dictionary|
|Se mer på Wikipedia.οrg…|
© Den här artikeln använder material från Wikipedia® och är licensierad enligt GNU Free Documentation License
| 1 september in English | 1 september in French | 1 september in Italian | 1 september in Spanish | 1 september in Dutch | 1 september in Portuguese | 1 september in German | 1 september in Russian | 1 september in Japanese | 1 september in Greek | 1 september in Korean | 1 september in Turkish | 1 september in Hebrew | 1 september in Polish | 1 september in Hungarian | 1 september in Latvian | 1 september in Bulgarian | 1 september in Danish | 1 september in Finnish | 1 september in Norwegian | 1 september in Swedish
You think you have ethics... Take the survey NOW!